If you use an Adblocker please consider disabling it while browsing this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

AD

Friday, May 19, 2017

My Ramblings: Love To Hate Love Triangles

Love To Hate Love Triangles

* The text that is 'hidden' contains spoilers for the series mentioned. Please highlight the text using your cursor to read it.

This is a topic that I have a hate/hate relationship with. I used to despise love triangles less vehemently when I first started encountering them in the books I'd read. My first experience with them is something I remember vividly, though I didn't know they existed back then. 

I've mentioned this in either a book review or a 'My Ramblings' post in the past. The first 'big' novel I obligated myself to read was the Twilight Series By Stephenie Meyer. I remember loving the first book at the time and when I finally got my hands on 'New Moon' I almost fangirled. A few chapters into the novel and Edward up and leaves Bella. That had my blood boiling in outrage. My thought process had the following rationalization: So she's the love of your life and you just leave with a sh*ty excuse? You lost my respect, Team Jacob from now on.

That was also the first time I got riled up enough by a book to the point of me having to rant about it to someone (which ended up being my mom). Looking back on it today I understand that it was a love triangle and that it meant to lengthen the story and cause drama. Having Bella become almost catatonic isn't my idea of a good plot line, so it only made me angrier. Don't even get me started on the ending to the series, which I HATED.

There was a series (Strange Angels Series By Lili St. Crow) I read that made the love triangle work for the story. I can't tell you that I enjoyed the ending (because I didn't), but it was the first series in which there was no choice made since it left the story at an open end. I was angry for weeks over that ending. I eventually did get over it, but I never want to come across another love triangle again.

How's your relationship with love triangles?
Do you love to hate them?
Let me know in the comments below!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...