If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, May 19, 2017

My Ramblings: Love To Hate Love Triangles

Love To Hate Love Triangles

* The text that is 'hidden' contains spoilers for the series mentioned. Please highlight the text using your cursor to read it.

This is a topic that I have a hate/hate relationship with. I used to despise love triangles less vehemently when I first started encountering them in the books I'd read. My first experience with them is something I remember vividly, though I didn't know they existed back then. 

I've mentioned this in either a book review or a 'My Ramblings' post in the past. The first 'big' novel I obligated myself to read was the Twilight Series By Stephenie Meyer. I remember loving the first book at the time and when I finally got my hands on 'New Moon' I almost fangirled. A few chapters into the novel and Edward up and leaves Bella. That had my blood boiling in outrage. My thought process had the following rationalization: So she's the love of your life and you just leave with a sh*ty excuse? You lost my respect, Team Jacob from now on.

That was also the first time I got riled up enough by a book to the point of me having to rant about it to someone (which ended up being my mom). Looking back on it today I understand that it was a love triangle and that it meant to lengthen the story and cause drama. Having Bella become almost catatonic isn't my idea of a good plot line, so it only made me angrier. Don't even get me started on the ending to the series, which I HATED.

There was a series (Strange Angels Series By Lili St. Crow) I read that made the love triangle work for the story. I can't tell you that I enjoyed the ending (because I didn't), but it was the first series in which there was no choice made since it left the story at an open end. I was angry for weeks over that ending. I eventually did get over it, but I never want to come across another love triangle again.

How's your relationship with love triangles?
Do you love to hate them?
Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...