If you use an Adblocker please consider whitelisting this blog.
By viewing and/or clicking the AD's you make the future of this blog brighter! Thank you!

Advertisement

Friday, May 25, 2018

My Ramblings: Names I Can't Stand In Books

Names I Can't Stand In Books

Everyone has a name or two that they can't stand. The reasons will vary but most of mine come down to either because I know someone with that name in real life and I dislike them or every time I come across the name I second guess myself on how to pronounce it in my head (audio books have done wonders to limit this). Though most of the names I don't like aren't usually used in books because I'm in Brazil and I read books in english. 

There have been a few that have crossed over:

1. Soifra - I don't know how to pronounce it and second guessing myself during the story (that featured this name for the main character) took away from the story. 

2. Nathaniel - I had a physics teacher with this name. He would poke you in the ribs when you called him to your desk for help on a worksheet. If I never see or hear this name in my lifetime it'll still be too soon. He's also why I learned to despise physics.

3. Scarlett - I knew a person with this name when I was in high school. She's was a two-faced witch and I don't want to be reminded of her in a book I'm trying to enjoy.

4. Mary Anne (and all its variations) - My dislike of this name goes back to elementary school. I've met a lot of people with this name in my lifetime (apparently it's a VERY common name in Brazil) and most haven't been pleasant. I'd rather not have random tidbits of memories clouding up my judgment when I'm reading a book.

What names DON'T you like in books?
Is there a reason behind it or was it an irrational decision?
Let's discuss in the comments below

6 comments:

  1. Most fantasy names irk me, because I never know how to pronounce them. It makes my reading take longer than it should, as I stumble over the name every time. I have never attached any personal memory to any of the names of characters in books, but I could see why that could be bothersome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read many fantasy heavy books nowadays, but I totally remember the hard times I had while trying to stick to a pronunciation of a strange name or two so I could focus on enjoying the story. Audio books have helped so much in that aspect though :)

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I've always loved the name Nathaniel and all variations (Nathan, Nate)! But I can see why you dislike it. That guys sounds like a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he was such a jerk! The whole class got so up in arms about it that we eventually signed a petition informing the school principal for him to stop. The problem is that by then the damage was already done :/

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh, I'm so bad at pronouncing certain names in books and it really takes me out of the story. I do think when you know someone who has a character's name and they are AWFUL, it can make you just hate the name on principle. hah

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm right there with you! I've had to resort to Google Translate for certain name pronunciations because I kept changing them up in my head. Projecting my dislike of a certain person with the same name as a book character is so annoying but I'm can't help it :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...